Thursday, February 7, 2008

Trauma with a Capital T

Sunset Rose
~ Oil on canvas ~

It's been a difficult two days. My pooter spat the dummy yesterday morning, and I messed it up a bit more before pulling out my recovery discs and re-formatting the whole thing. Sadly, my backup was from 11/2007 and I have lost lots of interesting bit and pieces, but I figure my life was pretty good then, so I will survive. My heart nearly stopped when I thought I had dropped my Christmas baby photos, but I had copied them onto the D drive within the laptop only days ago, and they were still there! I thought the re-format would have wiped that too.

Great relief..................

At times like this you realise it really pays to back up. I am not sure how to operate the retrieval process, but did manage to pull out my internet favorites successfully today. The rest might come with some assistance. I got an 320G external hard drive last November, so my extra backups were safely out of the laptop.

My daughter's partner is a computer whiz, and has promised to assist to build a ghost drive that can sit there in storage for pasting across should this happen again. No re-installing needed.

It's amazing how much a life can revolve around your computer. I spend most days alone (and like it that way), as we live well out of town, and having all this wonderful information at my fingertips keeps me well in touch with the world.

But it's very stressful having an empty computer. Programs need re-installing, I've lost the serial key for my Microsoft Office, which really pips me off. I have got my pen tablet working again, so that's a big plus. I can't remember all the little programs I had downloaded off the web, but that will drift back in.

Clean, fast operating computer........ lovely!

"If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change."
... John A. Simone, Sr.

No comments: