Monday, October 8, 2007

All Done!

All our lambs are born now, with twin girls appearing suddenly this morning.

I was grabbing the poodles to let the 'meter reader man' come through to do his worst, looked past him and said, 'Look, we've got a lamb!' After he left, I did a head count and there were two.


Mum was very enthusiastic, but she had licked one off and not the other, still covered with yellow slime. I watched for a while, but they were in a cold breeze and getting a bit chilled, so I got a towel and gave her a rub. Being so slippery, it was very difficult to get off, but I had a little success, then grabbed them both under my arms and led the bleating Mum through to the next area where there was a steep bank and lots of shelter.


All appears OK now, though number two is still pretty yellow. Both seem healthy and very cute. A couple of nights in the house yard and I can get on with my life, not having to get up at 5am to check on expectant ewes.


"Mothers are fonder than fathers of their children because they are more certain they are their own."
...Aristotle

No comments: