Thursday, September 6, 2007

Local Humour

I was offered a commission to do a painting yesterday. She asked for a large gallery wrapped canvas to be sectioned into six, and on each section, could I do something intrinsically 'countryfied'? It sounded like great fun, and we discussed old clotheslines with washing hung up, our old Pope hand mower, a campfire with a billy on it, and a wagon wheel. So, I had a bit of a root around in my photo files and found a few treasures.

I had to go do a food shop in town, then came round the long way to see if I could find some old letterboxes. I did find these......
Maybe a bit silly for my country painting, but how cute are they? The one next door was a beautiful pink pig, and for the life of me, I don't know why I didn't photograph that as well. Next time. I'll put it in when I do.

My vegetable garden is now all planted up, with every bit of space taken. A while ago, I spotted a method of gluing carrot seeds onto strips of paper, then laying them on the dirt and lightly covering them. So, on a day when I felt like wasting time (maybe not!), I cut out long strips of toilet paper, mixed up some flour glue,and dabbed a row of seeds an inch apart on each strip. Then I promptly forgot them, as I'm prone to do, and they languished unplanted up on the top of the spice shelf.

So, in a wakeful moment in the dark of the night last week, I remembered them (no, I don't dust there often enough!), and got them down today and planted them in neat rows. All I have to hope now is they take off.

"A good gardener always plants 3 seeds - one for the bugs, one for the weather and one for himself."
... Leo Aikman

No comments: