Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bye Bye Charlton!

Charlton Heston built his career playing larger than life roles, and I used to moon over him in the old movies when I was young.

All that stopped for me after the school shooting at Columbine, when he traveled down to that state to rally the gun lobby against gun control.

I saw him coldly cut off Michael Moore in his "Bowling for Columbine", when he was challenged about the need for guns.

I come from a peaceful country who feels no need for guns and the associated violence that comes from them. I find it interesting and sad that so many feel they do.

My memory has blanked off all those wonderful movies he did before that and I remember his stony face as he proclaimed his now famous quote ".... from my cold dead hands!"


That has finally come true.


“The rules have changed. True power is held by the person who possesses the largest bookshelf, not gun cabinet or wallet.”

... Anthony J. D'Angelo

1 comment:

Colin Campbell said...

I'm with you on that one. Living in America and seeing the power of the NRA made me sick. Charlton Heston was the embodiment of all that was sick in an American society underpinned by greed and violence. I hated it that so many people have guns sometimes multiple guns in their houses.

I saw this week that Floridians have been given the right to bring guns to work.

Sick