Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fantasy, Monster Bread and Life's Lessons

I went to see 'The Waterhorse' last Friday with my daughter and grandson. It's about the legend of the Loch Ness monster, and was an absolute delight. Being a great enthusiast of Photoshop, and have done some cartooning and animation, I am fascinated by CGI.

The CGI in this film is entrancing and seamless. The tiny creature that hatches out, and grows at an alarming pace is unbelievably realistic, with moist skin and alive eyes. It swims and splashes, bangs down the stairs, and gets into all sorts of mischief, until it gets really BIG!

I'd love to see how it's constructed.

It's a children's film, but still worth a look, especially if you can take a small person too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I borrowed a bread machine from a friend, to see whether it was a useful tool for making our own bread. I used to make a lot of bread by hand, then life changed for a time, and I never got back to it, until recently.

The first loaf I made was a wholemeal banana bread, which was pretty cute, and toasted up really well for our one 'toast and spreads morning' per week. It was an even shape and nicely browned.

BUT, I made one yesterday for some lunch guests and it turned out like this.

It got heaps of laughs, and tasted like the good old 'Aussie damper' (made in a cast iron camp oven on the fire). It had a pretty heavy texture, but I did use the wrong flour. The recipes have some options about size, so possibly not use the small portions, because there just wasn't enough dough to make up the required shape.

A friend has given me some bread making mix, and I will use that before I return it.

There is something really lovely about getting your hands into the flour, kneading the dough, setting it aside to rise, punching it down for another rise, shaping and baking it, and pulling it out of the oven. That's the best part! The smell...................

Maybe I'll go back to basics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't read much of it yet, but have started 'Tuesdays with Morrie', which is renowned world wide. I believe there was even a short series made of it.

I rarely watch 'Oprah', but it was rattling away in the background one day and the author, Mitch Albom was being interviewed.

It sounded fascinating, so I got onto Amazon and bought a second hand copy for '1 cent' plus postage, and it came all the way from the US.

A true story, Morrie is dying of a debilitating muscle disease, and invites an ex-student into his final months. His gentle wisdom and positive attitude towards his slow slide into the after life teaches all who spend time with him.

Even my philosopher daughter lit up when I mentioned it, saying she had a copy, and loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To teach how to live with uncertainty, yet without being paralyzed by hesitation, is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy can do.
... Bertrand Russell

1 comment:

zooms said...

Even your bread looks creative, love the bread board too,
I know what you mean though, about the bread making process, it's a bit like having 3 kernels of corn in the palm of your hand before sowing, a connection.