Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Interpreting the recent Gippsland Floods

'Gippsland Art Gallery, Sale has invited artists to submit works interpreting the recent Gippsland floods. Selected works will be on display at the Sale Entertainment Centre from 2 November to 18 November as part of the 2007 Water Water Festival.'

I contacted the organiser of this event to enquire what was expected, and after a couple of positive emails back and forth, I have begun a painting to enter. I thought I might post a photo or two while it is under construction.

The reference photos were taken by my partner, who had been there counselling affected farmers, and assessing the flood damage for eligibility for Government assistance. One picture in particular caught my eye, because it was taken at night and captured all the drama of rushing water and submerged farmland.

I roughed out my painting on a large canvas (610 X 920), in acrylic background colours, and emailed the result to the organiser. She was delighted, and said it was just what they were looking for. I have begun to block in some oils, but will show that next..........














"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
....Carl Sagan

No comments: