Thursday, August 30, 2007

A Day in the Studio


Well, today was governed by two things : the weather and the excitement of a new painting under way.

The wind has blown furiously all day, and dog bowls, wheelbarrows and anything else not tied down has been travelling from west to east. Living in such an exposed area leaves us open to winds from all directions, hence our property name, "Hell on the Hill". In good weather, I call it 'Bliss Hill', and say it is more the latter than the former.

The new vegetable seedlings are waiting patiently in their bags, and the garden is only half turned over. The weather stopped that project in its tracks.

So, out to the studio, with the dogs in tow. The two young ones must have seen a snake, and are determinedly hunting all the nooks and crannies in the house yard every time I let them out. I now need to be very vigilant, and keep them close until I have time (and weather) to clear out a lot of undergrowth, and spray my (ordered) snake repellent around.

I love the first day of oils on a new painting. My pallet is chock full of my chosen colours and my design is set out beckoning. The next day has little dibs of leftover paint dragged onto the edge, so I can match or re-use, and it's not nearly as much fun. Usually it has a film of skin over it, so when you sink the pallet knife into it and stir, there are lumps, that need picking out as you paint. Why don't I chuck it out in the evening, you ask? Because I'm stingy, that's why...............

So, here's today's work. I am pretty pleased with it, but the shadow across the iron is irritating me somewhat. I am hoping it will add to the three dimensional effect, so will work on it some more.

I find there is often a stage in my work, where I look at it and feel there are some major issues in there that possibly can't be resolved. But I know now to work on and get through to the other side, and all is well. Hopefully this will be the case.

The paint is laid on very thick now, and will need a few days to dry before I can get back into it.

"Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:
But when the trees bow down their heads.
The wind is passing by."
.... Christina Rossetti

No comments: