Saturday, August 18, 2007

Couch Potato

We don't allow our dogs on the furniture. Living in the country means there are often muddy or sandy feet, and it's hard enough to keep the floors clean without obsessive washing and drying of paws, let alone our nice leather couches.

Our Lily has developed a sneaky habit of waiting until we go to bed, and then bedding down on one of our recliners. Mostly she is so careful that I would not know, but every now and again, a cushion is dislodged onto the floor, or a throw rug is scrunched down. Sometimes I hear her hurried dismount as I come around the corner.

As we prepare for sleep I now put a tray onto each chair to dissuade her, and it usually works, but I often feel her eying me, knowing I am onto her nighttime habits.

Very occasionally, she makes a serious error of judgement, and gets up during the day. This painting is of one such moment when I caught her. Her eyes not wanting to meet mine show her discomfort at being sprung. But she looks very tucked in and comfortable. Needless to say, I had to keep the standards up and she was hustled off the chair as soon as I snapped her picture.

"From the dog's point of view, his master is an elongated and abnormally cunning dog."
.......Mabel Louise Robinson




No comments: